Applications for all roles within Corrections must be made online via our eRecruit system. Only online applications received this way can be considered.
In order to complete your application, you need to:
- complete an online application form. This will be attached to vacancy you wish to apply for. You will be asked to provide information to support your application, which will include:
- your contact details
- if relevant, any criminal convictions or conflicts of interest you may have (see pre-employment checking)
- any previous work history you’ve had with the Department of Corrections.
You will need to upload:
- A copy of your Curriculum Vitae (CV) with your complete employment history, work experience and qualifications. Your CV should show evidence of the competencies outlined on the job description for the role you’re applying for.
- A cover letter explaining, with specific examples, how your skills and abilities are suited to the role you’re applying for.
- Some roles require additional documents to be uploaded such as certain professional memberships or qualification. If additional documents are required, it will be clearly detailed on the application form.
For some roles you will be asked to complete a self-assessment which means that you will be asked additional questions specifically related to the role you’re applying for.
The application form needs to be submitted electronically with your CV, cover letter and any other documents you’ve been asked to provide as part of the application process.
Tips for job applications
For more specific advice you can go to www.careers.govt.nz. This site provides specific tools for composing a Curriculum Vitae and cover letter. The content of both documents need to specifically relate to your experience, skills and suitability for the role.
If you are shortlisted, you will be contacted to arrange an assessment or an interview. If you aren't shortlisted, you will be advised via email.Learn more
Because of the nature of our work and the high standards of integrity and conduct we expect from employees we carry out pre-employment checks on all applicants.Learn more
An overview of the application process for our frontline futures roles (corrections officers, probation officers, case managers, programme facilitators and instructors).Learn more
Frequently asked questions about frontline futures roles (corrections officers, probation officers, case managers, programme facilitators and instructors).Learn more